Attention business owners
If you are a business owner you should read and follow these 4 easy steps to make sure you are ready and secure in the event of a disaster in your commercial building:
Step One: Inspect Properties
At least once a month, assess various areas of a building to look for signs of moisture from leaking pipes and fixtures. Check water distribution systems, including bathroom fixtures, kitchen plumbing and drinking fountains, especially devices that are old and degraded. Keep a record of plumbing fixtures that are prone to having frequent failures such as galvanized or steel pipes and connectors. Inspect decorative water fountains, swimming pools and hot tubs at the same time. Understand the particular areas of a property that do not have drainage systems such as parking garages. In a water leak emergency, lower levels of a building without drains require portable or fixed sump pumps.
Step Two: Mitigation Plans
Create and implement a loss mitigation plan for employees to follow when finding a leak in a multi-story building. A basic emergency plan should contain written guidelines that include conducting initial and annual training for staff and tenants concerning procedures to follow after finding a water leak. The plan should also include a map or diagram showing the location of water shutoff valves and exactly how to close the devices. If a building has a sprinkler system for fires, then it is often necessary to turn off these devices to avoid damage from water or chemicals. For confidential or sensitive areas of a building, make a list of the designated employees who can enter the space.
Step Three: Emergency Contact List
Maintain an up-to-date 24-hour emergency contact list with names and telephone numbers for:
• The business maintenance staff
• Local water company after-hours number
• Water mitigation service vendors such as SERVPRO of Sylmar/San Fernando
• Building agent or broker
Step Four: Additional Plans
When a major water disaster happens in a multi-story business, owners need to know where all records are kept along with essential services and key operating systems. Business owners should always have duplicate records in a safe place off-site in addition to having online records. Understand the procedures for relocation or movement of goods, records or tenants to a safe area. A written plan for evacuation of employees, guests and tenants along with equipment shutdown and closing a facility is essential to save property and people from danger.
Call SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga for any more questions or information at 818-951-6780
Our Awesome crew
When your business or commercial property is affected by a disaster, the interruption can greatly impact your revenue, customers and employees. At SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga, we understand that an immediate and efficient response is essential to quickly getting your business back to running at full capacity.
Commercial recovery requires the trained techniques of an experienced team prepared to handle the unique challenges of a large-scale environment. Our service area is not limited to any certain areas. We can service all of California if needed. We have on-call staff available 24/7 to respond to your emergency. Upon receiving a call from your company, we will send a specialist to your location to assess the damage and develop an action plan for moving forward.
Be prepared commercial owners
Here at SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga we believe in offering our customers a personal approach focused on effective solutions, communication and transparency in our objectives. In an emergency situation, we want you to feel confident knowing that we will take care of the details, allowing you to focus on your business. As a licensed, bonded and insured company, each and every one of our restoration technicians are fully certified and prepared to meet the challenges of your commercial restoration project with quality workmanship.
Commercial Services SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga Offers
- Water Extraction & Equipment Rental
- Commercial Dehumidification
- Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration
- Odor Neutralization & Removal
- Mold Removal & Remediation
- Emergency Structural Stabilization & Board-Up
- Interior & Exterior Demolition
- Professional Floor & Upholstery Cleaning.
Just to name a few...
When the fire blows out your windows.
Blown out windows due to the pressure from the flames
This apartment building had one rough night! Due to an electrical shortage that caused a big fire to start in this one unit there was a ton of damage as you can see all the black soot and smoke on the outside of the building. This is a big job for the crew here at SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga. There are steps they have to follow to restore this unit and the ones affected around it.
It's important that you don't re-enter your home, or any surrounding structure, that's been affected by the fire until permitted by local building officials or the fire department. Not only can fires erupt again, but there's almost always hidden damage that could render the home unsafe. Open doors carefully, and don't force them open if they're jammed because you run the risk of further structural damage or collapse. Any remaining soot, debris, and dirty water could make you sick too, so use extra precaution when going back into your home, especially if you touch damaged items.
Mold in your home?
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
Storms in the Valley
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Sunland/Tujunga, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
In this picture a tree has been uprooted and came down crashing on this home. This already caused a lot of damage to the home from the outside but more importantly is what it does to the inside of the home. SERVPRO was there to help with the tree removal and tarp of the roof to keep any debris from coming into the home. SERVPRO also went into the home and did all the necessary clean up and debris removal to keep this family safe and keep the home clean and livable.
24 hours in the day!
SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
It is really important that you address any water damage issues you are having quickly and thoroughly. Sometimes we think we can handle the situation ourselves but in most cases we need to reach out to restoration companies such as SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga so that they can come and asses the situation. Restoration companies have the proper equipment, tools and trained staff to take care of the problems at hand and discover hidden problems that are not visible to the eye.
So just remember to have SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga on speed dial for all your water, fire and mold needs. They are a very well trained staff and are ready to help you feel "Like it never even happened".
Flooded? Time Lapse of damage that can occur...
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately.This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – (818)365-3736
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga
SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Sunland Residents: We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Sunland basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today -(818) 365-3736
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help (818)365-3736
Be prepared for the next storm!
One way or another we experience storms. Rather it be snow, rain, wind, etc, it is going to happen. When it does happen we need to be prepared. The following list is what is recommended at a minimum to be ready in the event of a storm.
- Flash Light (it is possible for the power to go out during a storm)
- Extra Batteries (flashlights never work when needed, having extra batteries can save you from the dark)
- First Aid Kit (make sure nothing is outdated in the kit so it is possible to use the items if needed)
- Cellphone (Now a days everyone has a cellphone, it is necessary to have one in case the house phone does not connection)
- Canned Food (might not have food to cook, it is important to have up to date canned foods just in case for emergency purposes)
- Manual Can Opener (do not just rely on an electrical can opener because the electricity can go out during a storm)
- Bottled Water (water is the most important thing to have around the house)
- Blanket (it is possible for the heaters at your property to stop working, make sure you have blankets around to keep you warm)
- Battery Powered Weather Radio (using a radio can help you stay connected to what is happening during a storm in case your T.V does not work and you cannot connect to the weather channel)
Being prepared will help keep panic at a minimum especially in a family that has children involved. Not only will these items benefit you but it will help benefit your loved ones around as well. These items should be kept in a safe place with easy access in case of a storm emergency. Every month or so check the battery life and replace if needed. Make sure that the canned food and bottles of water are up to date and if need replacements to do it immediately during a storm season. Also remember to go over the items in the kit with your family so they are aware of everything put into the kit.
Mold is dangerous, yet something that can be taken care of instantly. Coming across mold at a property isn't fun, but if you do the right thing fast there should be nothing to worry about. SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga has trained mold remediation technicians that are ready to tackle down anything.
Spotting mold can be frustrating and can be confusing at times, but here is a basic list of what mold is and should SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga help you with any current and future mold issues.
- Mold can be found anywhere, as long as there is moisture mold has the chance to grow.
- Mold can grow on drywall, wood studs, carpets, food, paper, and even on insulation. Mold is reproduced through spores and when mold spores land on wet areas in the house that is when it starts to grow. That spore digests whatever damp item it lands on and it grows in order for it to survive. Once that mold fungus is in contact with moisture bacteria is created and then mold starts to grow within days.
- When extra moisture accumulates in an area or specifically on a material, mold will start to form and grow. If there is constant moisture in an area, hence the bathroom and the kitchen always make sure that after your steamy hot shower you wipe everything down. Wipe your walls and mirror in the bathroom with a dry towel to prevent from constant moisture being left on the materials in the bathroom after a shower. When washing dishes or using excess water in the Kitchen make sure everything is wiped down dry to avoid mold spores to be created and have mold grow.
- Mold spores are not visible to the naked eye, you will not be able to spot them until they you see them in the form of mold. Be extra cautious to the rooms and materials being in contact with moisture on a daily basis.
- Prior to mold being visible to the naked eye, you may be smelling a musty or earthy smell. When this occurs immediately contact SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga, and we will have our mold crew come out and inspect your property for these first signs of mold. Do not ignore signs like smell, you can be able to prevent the mold from growing more.
- Mold can appear on the outside of the walls as a stain or discoloration and come in a fuzzy form, when you spot these signs of mold SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga will remove the growing mold spores and return the area back to the normal levels where there is no mold spores near.
- Everyone is aware that all molds, weather green or black, have the potential to cause health effects.
- When the mold remediation technicians of SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga are eliminating the mold growth it is done under a properly built containment where it is sealed and does not have access to spread mold spores into other unaffected areas. After SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga are complete with the mold remediation, an Industrial Hygienist will schedule to confirm that mold is no longer present. They will be taking a count of spore to confirm to us SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga and the homeowners that mold is no longer present.
- Mold growth can be controlled indoors by controlling the moisture by wiping down dry to not let dampness sit on materials.
- The reason behind mold remediation is to remove the mold that is present at the property so we can prevent human contact and damage to the building materials.
If you suspect mold at your property, feel free to call SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga at (818) 365-3736 and get connected to one of our highly trained mold remediation technicians.